Like most healthcare volunteers, The League of Friends was in existence long before the formation of the NHS in 1948.
With widespread poverty and deprivation, healthcare in the early 1900’s relied upon support from voluntary organisations, such as Hospital and Ladies Associations, Comfort Guides and Linen and Brick Leagues.
These volunteer groups built and maintained local hospitals and provided clean clothing for patients. Even with the introduction of the NHS, many wished to continue supporting and so in 1949, The National League of Hospital & Community Friends was officially formed, now known as ATTEND.
Here at Warwick, the hospital was built in 1930, onto older buildings, which remain to this day and date back to the turn of the 19th century.
The League of Friends of Warwick Hospital was formed in 1953.